Performance Solar Panels
The innovative shingled cell Maxeon Performance solar panel combines conventional solar cells with 35+ years of materials and manufacturing expertise to surpass the performance and reliability of conventional solar panels.1 Definition of “Conventional Panel” is a panel made with Conventional Cells which are silicon cells that have many thin metal lines on the front and interconnect ribbons soldered along the front and back. Performance panels reflect on Maxeon’s history of developing, constructing and operating solar power plants as part of SunPower Corporation – knowledge that has been instrumental in honing the Performance panel to deliver the requisite quality and reliability today’s solar EPCs and developers demand.
Since 2015, more than 7 GW of Maxeon Performance panels have been deployed across 60+ countries, making it the leading shingle cell technology on the market today.2 Based on shipments as of Q1-2021
Performance panels re-engineer conventional solar technology for enhanced strength and performance in real-world conditions.
- Conductive adhesives developed for aerospace reinforce cell connections to withstand the stresses of daily temperature swings.
- Redundant cell connections mitigate the impacts of cell cracks on power output by creating flexible paths for electricity flow.
- Proprietary encapsulants protect cells and minimize degradation from environmental exposure.
Engineered to stand up
to the elements
The advanced engineering and material science behind Maxeon’s Performance panels (on the left) enable cells to stand up more robustly to environmental stresses relative to standard front-contact mono PERC cells (on the right). The electroluminescence scans seen here show the results from a force of nearly 400 Newtons being applied to the cells in a test environment.
BLOG: Shade Happens
Whether from leaves, birds, or neighbouring structures, your installation will ultimately encounter shading. The design and engineering behind your solar panels make a big difference on how reliable they perform when shaded, as well as the savings you’ll see on your electric bill.
Third-party Reliability Validation
SunPower Performance panels were recognized as a Top Performer in the 2021 PVEL PV Module Reliability Scorecard.
Based on data from its Product Qualification Program (PQP), the PVEL Scorecard highlights the exemplary reliability performance of solar panel manufacturers worldwide.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do Maxeon Performance solar panels differ from Conventional Panels?
- There are a variety of key technical differences between Maxeon Performance solar panels and Conventional Panels, including the design and layout of the solar cells, the conductive material used, and the electric architecture—which combine to enhance the reliability, performance and aesthetics of Performance panels.
- To go into a bit more technical detail, first, we laser cut each cell into six strips and layer them in a shingled configuration to create a ‘hypercell’. This shingled hypercell allows us to fit more active cell area into each panel, boosting power and efficiency. Second, Performance cells are connected with a conductive adhesive borrowed from the aerospace industry to offer multiple and redundant paths for energy flow. This allows us to remove the front contact conductive ribbons and solder bonds found in conventional cells that can block active cell area and deteriorate over time, leading to cell failures and power deficits. Finally, Maxeon Performance panels feature a unique parallel circuit architecture that significantly limits power loss in shade and soiling. The result is a superior shingled panel constructed with commodity cells, outperforming conventional panels in efficiency, performance and reliability.
How do Maxeon Performance solar panels differ from flagship Maxeon solar panel technology?
Maxeon Performance solar panels use high efficiency mono PERC cells, as opposed to proprietary back contact technology developed for our premium Maxeon panels.
What is the typical performance advantage gained from using Maxeon Performance panels?
We built the Performance solar panels for high reliability, high efficiency and low degradation—driving an estimated 8% more energy yield in a fixed space over the first 25 years of operation when compared to Conventional mono PERC Panels.1Maxeon Performance 425 W, 20.6% efficient panel, compared to a Conventional Panel on same-sized arrays (370 W mono PERC, 19% efficient, approx. 1.94 m²)
What is the typical cost advantage of using Maxeon Performance panels?
Costs vary from project to project. Performance panels generally have a price point that is competitive with Conventional Panels.